wasp sting

A sting in the tail. What to do with a wasp sting.

The good news is that most wasp stings are not serious

Most wasp stings are not serious and will likely get better in a few days. However, occasionally they can cause a serious allergic reaction called anaphylaxis.

First aid for wasp stings

  • Remove the sting if still in the skin. It is best to use a sterilised pair of tweezers for this, or clean fingernails if you can grasp the sting.
  • Wash the affected area with soap and water.
  • Apply a cold compress such as a cloth cooled with cold water or an ice pack to any swelling for at least 10 minutes.
  • Raise or elevate the affected area if possible, as this can help reduce swelling.
  • Avoid scratching the area or bursting any blisters, to reduce the risk of infection
  • The pain, swelling and itchiness can sometimes last a few days.

The NHS has great advice on what to do if you have been stung by a wasp, or stung out bitten by any other insect.

For anything more serious please call HNS 111 or refer to the advice given on the NHS website:

Do you have a problem with Wasps?

We can provide you not only with a wasp nest removal service but we also provide the advice that you need to deal with wasps.